Hello there! Welcome to my very much early January wrap up. It’s a new year which means new reading goals and challenges.
For this month I challenged myself to read 8 books and well, I read 12! Here is what I read:
Dream is the January word in BooksandLala’s Buzzword Reading Challenge and for that I read 2 books:
Dream Work by Mary Oliver – I’m not much of a poetry fan so I tried my best to grasp the pieces. There were some that I loved and understood but some flew right over my head.
In the Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado – This was such an emotional memoir. I felt pain, anger, confusion and more on a visceral level. Most importantly, this was an informative and retrospective read that really calls for the world to reflect on how we view same-sex (abusive) relationships.
I also coincidentally read 3 books by and about Muslims this month:
A Woman is No Man by Etaf Rum – This book was on my 2020 TBR but I never got around to it. It was really interesting to learn a lot about what the community is like for some Palestinian Muslims. This book brought me though a wave of emotions but left me with hope.
Once Upon an Eid edited by S. K. Ali, Aisha Saeed – I read this directly afterwards and it was such a heart-warming follow up. I enjoyed all stories and very gladly gave this 5 stars.
Punching the Air by Ibi Zoboi, Yusef Salaam – I read this for the Syd and Jordy Get Lit book club.
- Ashen Shadows by Ewe Linka
- The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab
- Tweet Cute by Emma Lord
- Heart Berries by Terese Marie Mailhot
- Ring Shout by P. Djeli Clark
- Unraveling by Karen Lord
- An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
In January, I watched 15 films and 2 series. Here are my top watches (↩️ = rewatch)
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) ↩️ – ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Set It Off (1996) – ⭐⭐⭐⭐ .5
- Coraline (2009) ↩️ – ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
- Spirited Away (2001) – ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
- Chef (2014) – ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
- The Queen’s Gambit (2020) – series – ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
- How to Get Away with Murder (2014-2020) – series – ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐