For June, I participated in Read Caribbean Month, the Studio Ghibli Readathon, and the LGBTQMonth Reading Challenge hosted by Ross. I also had a personal challenge for LGBTQ books and films. It was a busy month (also my birthday month 🥳) but I managed to get through most of my reading and watch list.
Surprisingly, I made it through 18 books, but that was because I was adamant on blacking out the bingo boards for the challenges.
Here is what I read:
☀️ = ReadCaribbean // 📺 = Studio Ghibli Readathon // 🌈 = LGBTQ
- The Black Flamingo by Dean Atta – ☀️📺🌈
- Pet by Akwaeke Emezi – 📺🌈
- Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli – 📺🌈
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky – 📺
- The Mermaid of Black Conch by Monique Roffey – ☀️📺
- The Secret of Pirates’ Hill by Franklin W. Dixon – 📺
- Fair Play by Tove Jansson – 📺🌈
- The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson – 🌈
- King and the Dragonflies by Kacen Callender – ☀️📺🌈
- Heartstopper: Volume 1 by Alice Oseman – 📺🌈
- The Henna Wars by Adiba Jaigirdar – 📺🌈
- Witches Steeped in Gold by Ciannon Smart – ☀️📺
- Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones – 📺
- The A.I. Who Loved Me by Alyssa Cole -☀️📺
- Honey Girl by Morgan Rogers – 📺🌈
- Here Comes the Sun by Nicole Dennis-Benn – ☀️📺🌈
- My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness by Nagata Kabi – 📺🌈
and my final bingo boards …
Studio Ghibli Readathon
You can view my ratings in this twitter thread. Sadly, I didn’t get to write any reviews, maybe later on?
For June, the aim was to watch queer films and also the films that the Ghibli Readathon was based on. In all, I watched 24 films. My top watches are (all first time watches and ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5)
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)
- Pariah (2011)
- Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
- The Handmaiden (2016)
- Luca (2021)
I watched 11 queer films (I’m tempted to count Luca as the 12th) and watched the other 7 of the 8 Ghibli films (since I had already seen Spirited Away back in January), here is my ranking.
I wanted to see new Caribbean set films also but sadly, that didn’t happen. I still see it as a great month in films and I have some new favourites so that’s a plus!